CR - Bard and bard

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Jan 28 09:35:33 PST 1998

---Rita Menzie <rita at slideguy.com> wrote:
> Mike C. Baker wrote:
> > Delusions, more likely. Nope, not Seneschal anytime soon... Bard,
> > now that might strike closer to home -- but I don't need it *for
> > myself*. I'd be remiss in my duties as Bard and bard not to
> > compete, or at least assist with the competition, however.
>   On a lighter note, Amra what's the difference between a Bard and a
> bard?

 Lisette, that's a loaded question, possibly as contentious for some
as the Principality question.

Short form answer: I am a bard of Ansteorra, and have been ever
since my first (pre-Kingdom) event -- at least according to the
definitions used by the Ansteorran College of Bards. I wear the
light blue, gold-tasselled sash as a symbol of working formally with
the College, but would still be an SCA bard without it, and without
the Ansteorran College.

I am also, "mundanely" if you will, a "named Bard" of the lineage of
Gwydion and the White Bard. It is expected of me to learn, to teach,
to preserve, to create, and -- in dire necessity -- also to oppose
or even destroy. Forever a student, forever a teacher, I am charged
with "keeping the custom" and encouraging personal growth in others.
I am further charged with opposing ignorance and foundless
prejudice; with "walking between the worlds", spanning the gaps
between groups and individuals; and with performing my vocal and
other crafts (not always necessarily "entertaining") when called
upon to do so, so long as such request does not place intolerable
burden upon me or mine.

Not exactly a religious calling, but with certain sacred overtones
and an expectation of supporting communication between different
religious communities (and even teaching others about traditions and
callings that may not be my own). Not only personal performance and
composition, but also teaching and encouraging these activities in
others.

Patterned upon the ancient Irish / British / "Celtic" position of
the name, but with the knowledge that much that was has been lost
down through the long years.

And that's just the *short*-form explanation... Next time I get a
chance, I'll hand you a copy of the research paper ("What *IS* A
Bard?") on disk.

the Dreamsinger Bard
===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com