CR - No P-word for now!

Phyllis Spurr pspurr at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Wed Jan 28 14:26:39 PST 1998

> Date:          Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:44:34 -0600
> From:          Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net>

Galen said...

> As consensus is, itself, a requirement for advancement,
> those who argue against the proposal successfully disqualify
> the region from advancement.  That's how the rules are set
> up, and those who disagree with me, in many cases, are
> friends for whom I have immense respect and affection.

As a polling is needed for principality status - you are right.  With
the amount of gentles against this, it would not be feasible to spend
funds on this when defeat is an almost certainty.

>  Mistress Eowyn clearly
> stated that she will entertain no more meetings
> like Saturday's while she is in office.

This does not mean not to discuss or in anyway
prevent the region from improving, but while there is such a discord
regarding this topic, it will be unfruitful.  Perhaps in another
year, another meeting can take place discussing principality issues.
I hope that it will be better publicized.

> OK.  I don't think any individual can provide the
> leadership needed to begin organizing regional events,
> and I don't think the regional officers can or will
> do so, either.  What does that leave?

While that's 'not our job', it should be someone's.  Perhaps we need
to see interest for regional activities from the branches, with the
seneschal's spearheading the effort.

> Maybe we need a committee.
>
> Maybe a group of people, with the idea of
> developing the central community, of helping
> recruitment and new-member development in the
> small groups, and with the idea of fostering
> communication and cooperation in the baronies,
> could do what would quickly burn out a single
> person.
>
> Maybe we could organize an ad-hoc committee to
> do the legwork to organize regional events, to
> set up a demo team, to try to get people from
> various areas working together better than
> they do.  Even to publically thank those who are
> doing good work towards developing the central
> community.

What about nominating one individual from each branch into this
committee and see what grows from there?

> With the right people, it could work.  I think.

I agree!

> - Galen
> pmitchel at flash.net

Phyllis L. Spurr
Texas Department of Health
Public Health Region 2/3
Tuberculosis Elimination Division
pspurr at r03.tdh.state.tx.us

also known in the SCA as:
Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys Gyfurdd
acting Central Regional Seneschal
residing in the Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra