CR - Flag Pole Hill Tourney

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Mar 26 13:09:10 PST 1998

Hello everyone in the Centeral Region.

Since it is so quiet I will take this time to give a brief report on
the tourney run by Viscount Hightower at Flagpole Hill last Sunday.

First, it was a nearly perfect day for being in the park. A pleasure just
to be outside communing with nature.

The turnout was a bit bigger than expected with some faces that haven't
been seen at the Hill in a while. I think mainly because it was a week
before Crown and I called in some markers.

For the armored combat practice there were probably 16 or so fighters including
Duke Inman, Baron Sir Thorkel, Count Mahdi, Viscount Hightower, Viscount
Sir Axel, Baron Robin, myself, and a whole slew of squires and assorted fighters.

The tournament was a double elimination list. There were 14 entrants with
quite a bit of talent entered. The list was cleanly fought with many points
of Chivalry granted. Duke Inman fought as the dreaded bye. There was a round
robin final between Count Mahdi, me and another gentleman whose name I can't
recall at the moment. I would appreciate someone correcting this. The final
bout was fought between Mahdi and me. I had no losses and I had defeated Mahdi
earlier so he needed two wins and I only need one. Count Mahdi evened the
score by defeating me in the first bout. I took him in the second to win.

Baron Robin of Gilwell was presented with a pouch containing (I believe) a
necklace for being considered the "Most Chivalrous".

Viscount Hightower and his lady presented a basket containing trim and crystal
wine glasses to the victor.

Also at the site were a number of archers as well as rapier combatants under
the direction of Don Miguel, the current Queen's Champion, and Don Brendan, the
former Queen's Champion.

I must compliment Viscount Sir Axel. Even though he is old and broken down he
fought continously all day. Wearing out all of us young pups.

The next Flagpole Hill tourney is schedueled for April 19th and it will be
a pole-arm list.

Yers,

Gunthar