CR - Name and Armorial Research Committee

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 27 09:26:06 PST 1998

---Lee Martindale <lmartin at airmail.net> wrote:
> Todd Marsh wrote:
> > It has been pointed out that it would be easier to get the
> > central region to work together if we had a name and/or
> > badge to rally around.
> > Is it too soon to start talking about this?
> At the risk of drawing ire and parallel marks reminiscent
> of the tracks of steamdemons upon my frame, I believe
> this discussion to be entirely premature.

For reasons explained below, I find myself in disagreement with my
housemate on this point. No ire, no marks intended.

> Do those taking this route really believe that the very real
> lack of consensus arose when this matter was first
> advanced will evaporate with the addition of the trappings?

This thought-exercise has nothing directly to do with re-opening the
discussion of the P-word, at least as I see the matter.

What it most involves is the power of names.  The territory
designated "Central Region" by an external authority has become an
entity beyond the strictures of the original functionality. This is
still a tenuous form, groping for a proper place and sense-of-being.
By taking the step of self-naming, the regional identity "becomes"
greater than it was before.

While Galen's point about the implications for Regional Warlords and
plans for Gulf Wars is specific to Ansteorra's play-military,
Central Region is growing in other ways. Mutual support and extended
participation between local groups has, is, and will continue to
happen.

It is not always easy to think of the administrative name for an
area when it is impersonal and external. By doing groundwork to
propose a new name for the region, I believe that we will strengthen
the level and results of such inter-group cooperation. More
participation, higher attendance levels for smaller group's events,
more willing assistance with running those events, better
recruitment efforts.

And have a bit of harmless fun in the process.
The extension here, one of my base assumptions, is that the more
fun, the more people we will retain in the SCA in the area, and the
better the chances will be for future growth... and the closer we
will be to that "fully functional region" I have spoken of previously.

===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com