CR - SCA - 35 year ???

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Mon May 3 06:10:16 PDT 1999

Some _initial_ thoughts...

As much as we, as the SCA, love any excuse for a
party, I am of the opinion that the Society-wide
special celebrations at one large centralized event
should follow the longer cycle (10 yrs, specials at 25 & 75).

However, I will also suggest that the individual kingdoms
might have good reason to "fill in" the n5 years with more
localized, more distributed events.

In many ways, the Society has outgrown (for the moment)
the ability to _properly_ support gatherings drawn from
the entire populace.  Pennsic notwithstanding (and notably
straining at the seams as it is), Estrella and the other
large "wars" also demonstrate that we as a whole are
difficult to gather RESPONSIBLY in a camp setting -- and
remain accessible to the broadest possible slice of the
population at large.

There also is the issue of vacation time and individual
resource strain.  Heck, some of us haven't even been
able to wangle a trip to Pennsic, Estrella, OR Gulf yet
because of any number of time / money issues -- to add
another week-long event, with requisite prep / travel /
decompress, would be a terrible drain even on those
with tons of seniority and accumulated leave.

One suggestion for the intercalary (n5) years would be to
put more resources into the "Known World" events for
those years.  Events which have narrower focus AND
can often be supported in a non-camp setting may be
more appropriate.  By spreading them throughout the
year, it would also be possible to avoid the disruptions
of "ohmigawd, do I choose NN Year or Gulf Wars?"...

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com