ANST-Announce - LONG-----Proposed Guidelines for the Bardic College---First Draft

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Tue Jun 1 08:59:00 PDT 1999

 Greetings,

After several discusions with bards in our kingdom by her Grace Willow and
myself about what individuals want from their bardic college. Along with the
conseltation of others, there was an expressed opinion that the reforming of
the Ansteorran Bardic College should have guidelines.

Bellow is the proposal of these guidelines. This is a first draft open for
commentary and suggestions from the populace. The hard copy of which started
being handed out Saterday nite at Steppes Warlord.  I will have hard copies
of the proposal with me at events should anyone wish one.

Please Take a few minutes to read over the proposal

Lady Simone Maurian Ui'Dunlainghe
Coordinator of the Ansteorran Bardic College

Proposed Guidelines and Structure
For the Ansteorran Bardic Collage

With the forming of a new bardic collage, comes the opinion that there is a
necessity for a few simple guidelines.  In order to preserve an organization
designed to assist, support and build up the Bardic Community of Ansteorra.
To this end the following guidelines are proposed as the rules for the
charter of the New Bardic Collage and are presented to you the populace of
Ansteorra.

We would like to have your input, opinions, and suggestions on this first
draft so that we may truly represent the bardic community and Kingdom as a
whole.  We ask that all input on these guideline be sent or given to Lady
Simone Marrion Ui’Dunlaing Coordinator of the Bardic Collage by the end of
20th year celebration.

This is just a proposal, or suggestion at this time. We are wanting Public
opinion before anything is set in stone.

You can contact Lady Simone in the following manner

Telephone: (817) 535-1726
E-mail: margiejr at sprintmail.com
Regular Mail:  Margaret Risher  3317 Littlejohn ave, Fort Worth, TX 76105

Proposed Guidelines

The term “Bard” in this document is a general term used to refer to all
musicians, poets, storytellers, skalds, instrumentalists, actors, and other
performing artists.

The Proposed guidelines and there explanations are as follows:

1. Any person wishing to be a “Bard” in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, has only
to claim they are.

 The Bards in this kingdom have always been self-proclaimed.  This policy
has seen the rise of many good and well-respected Bards in this kingdom.  It
would seem foolish to change a policy that has worked so well for the past
two decades; hence, it remains, hopefully for several more decades to come
 No individual or group can tell a person that they are or are not a bard.
Only the individual can decide for themselves whether or not they are a Bard

2. All bards are autonomous except in matter concerning the Bardic Community
as a whole.

 Each Bard is an individual with there own style and personality, hence the
collage does not mandate the type of Bardcraft an individual bard must
pursue.  Nor does a single Bard talk for the Bardic Community as a whole

3. The Bardic Collage is to remain forever non political, those who hold
offices are but trusted servants, they do not govern.  They are to work for
the support of the Bardic Community as a whole.  Final authority for the
collage comes from the Bardic Community as a whole.

 The Bardic Collage does not have a political opinion.  Political opinions
are that of an individual and do not reflect that of the collage.  The
collage as an organization of service to the Bards of our Kingdom, should
not be compromised by the differences of political opinions, or to be used
for political gain, hence the collage remains neutral and non-political

5. Individual Bards may hire themselves to anyone wishing to hire a Bard

 Bards earn their keep by patronage; hence, a bard may be hired by anyone
choosing to hire a Bard.  It is not up to the collage to say which bards may
hire themselves out or refer a bard for hire.  This is an area between the
Bard and the patron

6. Membership in the Bardic Collage is open to anyone saying that he or she
is a bard.  Membership into the collage can only be canceled by the Bard not
the collage.

7. The Premier Bard Of Ansteorra is chosen annually , by the customs and
traditions of the Bardic Collage.

8. The primary purpose of the Bardic Collage is to strengthen the Bardic
Community through the sharing of information, ideas, and techniques in
formal and informal gatherings.