CR - Steppes Warlord -Equestrian Games Report

Lisa Le Chatton llechatton at home.com
Sat Jun 10 09:40:59 PDT 2000

Good Gentles,

This is a big thank you to everyone who helped to make the recent Equestrian
games at Steppes Warlord (Dallas) a success.

Thank you to:
All the populace for making us welcome.
All the the people who worked ground crew on the games or helped clean up
after the horses in the hall.
All of the people who came over just to pet the horses and give them
treats - they love the attention.

Baroness Catrin of Steppes for making the Equestrian games her personal
contribution to Steppes. She handles the SCA business, gives the prizes,
builds the toys, plays the games and even helps muck out afterward.
Sir Alexis, Minister of the Horse, who helped us get all the paperwork
started and gave me some great advice in running the games.
Patric de Long Coeur for managing the grooms and ground crew. For saving our
King and our Minister of the Horse from imminent danger.
Gabriele Rene' de Bernard, my faithful list-mistress who also helped to save
our field during the tornado weather.
Rolanda Rossner for being the official Marshal of the Event, keeping
everyone safe
and within the regs.
Chris and Tony for their work on ground crew and horse camp all day - when
there were other fun things for young people to do.
Lord Borek and the other event coordinaters, for your work and generosity
with space for our games.

To all the people who hauled horses to the games at great expense,
generously let the populace ride their mounts, and made contributions of
tack and supplies:

Guinivere of Gates Edge, your contribution of 4 (Christus, Indy, Flash and
Arab Flash) horses for the event was outstanding. Your pluck in hauling
half-way across Texas and not turning back after 4 flats is bardworthy.
Baron Fritz did not want to get off Christus so much they had to beg him to
come to dinner.
Sir Alexis for bringing Plum. It was reported that at least six beginner
riders rode her in the games and I don't know how many authorized on her
that weekend. She is always a favorite of the populace.
Lady Michelle, Kings Lancer for hauling both the ponies from Camelot, your
horse Rosie and the Stargate Equipment. That was quite a trip for your first
time to haul on your own.
Lady Catherine/Michelle Adams, for bringing Penny and helping us with all
the set-up/tear-down and selecting the hay.
Ronna & Petrucio, for bringing Miss T and their pen. I hope to see more of
you and your household who were so helpful in Horse Camp and with the games.

Big thank you to all the Marshals who worked all weekend to: keep everyone
safe, manage the IKEqC games, work as grounds crew, authorize those who
could be authorized, encourage (but not authorize) those who could not be
authorized, groom, muck out, and everything else. - Lady Rolanda, Sir
Alexis, Lady Michelle, Lady Catherine, Lady Jan'et, Guinevere of Gates Edge,
Lady Isabeau.

In Service,
Aimee de Long Coeur
Barony of the Steppes (Dallas)

Below is the guild report on the games from Gabrielle:

As you may have read, we had horses in the hall Saturday night during the
tornado. <It touched down a few miles from our camp and the only suitable
shelter was the main hall. Even with all the drumming, shouting and noise,
all the horses were well behaved. The populace of Ansteorra worked very hard
to make them welcome and clean up after horses.-Aimee> This was after a very
busy day for us and them.

If you didn't hear the presentation Saturday night, some of which got left
out, we had fifteen riders in our first compitition. Many of whom were
visitors
from Stargate. Besides being thanked for participating, I wish to thank them
again for bringing and sharing their horses with us.
We had seven beginners, of which I was one along with our Baroness Catrin.
There was one intermediate rider, our Guild Mistress Aimee de Long Coeur.
And seven advanced riders, most from Stargate.

Our winners at the different levels were;
Beginners  -  Nessa the Obstreperous Baroness of Stargate
Intermediate  -  Aimee de Long Coure
Advanced  -  Lady Gwenevere of Gatesedge

We had some exciting moments with the horses that you may not be aware of,
besides having them in the hall.

Sir Alexis generously loaned his horse Plum to five different riders before
putting in the fastest ride himself. Almost a full minute faster than any
other rider. At the end of her run Plum slid on the dry, newly mown grass.
Sir Alexis did an emergency dismount. I didn't see this myself, however I
did hear it.
"THUD."

Lady Gwenevere of Gatesedge won the compitition after a very long day. She
left home, in Stargate, early in the morning, hauling a trailer with two
horses. After dealing with Four, yes I said four, flat tires on the trailer
she arrived in time to be our last rider. The topper to all this is that it
was her birthday.

At one point Sir Alexis was authorizing the King, when they put a foot
outside the
course and were headed toward the range behind the archery targets. Patric
de long Coure, our grounds crew master, called "HOLD" and showed them the
line they had crossed. (He told me that he did not realize at first that he
was addressing the King.) Patric and his grounds crew did not get mentioned
at Saturday evening court
for all the hard work they did. I mentioned this to Baroness Catrin. She
agreed they should be thanked and said to send him to court Sunday morning.
did. When the King saw him being thanked, he unexpectedly gave Patric his
AOA.(Protecting the life of your king is always a Good thing to do. Even
when
you don't realize you are doing so.)

I had the priviledge to be the list mistress and I wish to say thank you to
all who helped me. Thank you and VIVAT to all the riders And grounds crew
for
making this a wonderful event.

A veery tired Gabriele Rene' de Bernard