[Central] question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Jul 5 12:48:56 PDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, mike young <uther at lcc.net> wrote:
> Can someone tell me why I am getting these really strange subject
> line emails from Coastal and Central mailing lists.  They don't seem
> to have an body to the letters tho.

Most likely: someone's computer has the Klez virus.  Klez sends out
copies to various addresses in the Microsoft Outlook addressbook,
forging the From line to make it look like it's actually coming from a
third party.  The ansteorra.org mail gateway strips attachments, which
is to say, it strips the virus.

Get good antivirus software.  http://www.cnet.com/'s feature today
happens to be a comparitive review of ten antivirus programs.

    For its ease of use and unparalleled track record at stopping
    viruses that are in the wild, we like Norton AntiVirus 2002.

(They also recommend "Norman Virus Control" *snort* ... Anyway, check
out user comments.  For some users it locked up their machines.  I'd
avoid it.)

Update your virus software.  Norton has Live Update to get the latest
virus definitions.

I strongly suggest replacing Microsoft Outlook with another mailer.
Outlook is the tonsils of the Internet -- they get every disease
instantly and spread it around the body.

Daniel "or just run Linux and avoid a fair number of problems in favor
of much more interesting and technical problems" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.