[Central] RE: Sewing Bee

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jan 2 08:45:15 PST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Ansteorra WebMinister <vscribe at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> And I think that is why Xene may have said unofficial, that way we
> are not violating anything that is registered by misusing it in this
> manner.

?  That's the complete reversal of the logic.  If it's unregistered:

- It's likely to be way non-period style, in my experience.  That's
  not condemnation: people should be no more expected to know about
  period armory than period armor, for example.  It's just that modern
  America has a notion that anything thrown on a shield shape or
  tabard is a coat of arms -- look at Medieval Times or a ren faire,
  or better yet, not.  I don't know about you, but I'd rather not
  wince when I see an Ansteorran unit come onto the field.

- It's probable that nobody will do a thorough check to see whether
  it's close to something that has been registered or not.

- There's certainly nothing to prevent someone from registering it
  later, and I think they would have just cause for being pissed at
  the Central Region for using their item.

(Other points could be made about regionalism versus Ansteorra, but
others could make them.)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.