CR - Greetings!

Beth Richard brichard at pdq.net
Wed Feb 9 21:11:13 PST 2000

Hi There!

  I just signed on and thought I'd say hello.

  I play a cherry Argent Fox "Lord Ambrosius" 26 string harp.  It's strung
with phosphor bronze, although after having played a friend's harp last
summer strung with brass, I'm tempted to re-string!  I have not had any
levers put on it, though, so I change keys with the tuning key.  My style is
to play with nails with the left hand treble.

  My teacher is Therese Honey.  We started on the Ann Heymann "A Gaelic
Harper's First Tunes" and got through some of that and have been branching
out from there.  BTW, If anyone's interested in selling a copy of Ann
Heymann's "Secrets of the Gaelic Harp", I'm interested in buying a used
copy!  I've also got Gael Kathryn's "Wire Strung Primer" and the John Hines
"Early Music for the Wire Strung Harp".  I got all of the above from
Melody's Traditional Music and Harp Shoppe in Houston.  BTW, their URL
changed a while back and it's now "www.folkharp.com".

  I agree with the recommendation for the John Hines book as a source for a
ton of easy tunes in the fixed hands position.  It's all melody, though,
you're on your own if you want any harmony.  It's also not a "tutor"...
don't expect to learn to play from this book.  Gael Kathryn's is good for
that, but goes pretty fast.  I like Ann Heymann's the best.  It's not
expensive to get all three and they each do a different thing.  They
complement each other fairly well.  And if there's any other good
recommendations, let me know!

  I live in Houston, about 4 or 5 miles from Melody's. I may have met some
of you at the ISFHC in Galveston.  I was the person toting around all the
video gear.  I was at the Gulf Coast Harper's conference last weekend, but
was one of only 2 wire harpers there.  The other was Barbara Copenhaver.

  'Nuff For Now!
    Enjoy!
      Beth Richard