CR - December demo

Heather Jones hjones at sugar-land.spc.slb.com
Fri Oct 13 07:49:49 PDT 2000

Greetings to the Coastal Region!  I hope this missive finds you in good
spirits,

The Canton of Westgate will be hosting a demo at The Carriage Inn of Katy
(1400 Katy Flewellen Rd) on Saturday, December 16th.  The Carriage Inn is a
small retirement community in the heart of Katy with just over 85
residents.  The directors of the community have asked the SCA to come
perform and to demonstrate the many activities that we do within the
society for the residents, their families, and others within the Katy
area.  The directors have several activities planned along with our
demonstrations and the afternoon long "fair" will end with a feast in the
large dining room (yes, all SCA attendees are welcome to dine at the feast).

The directors of the Carriage Inn have let me know that there is no
activity too small or group too big to fit.  There is a lovely courtyard
for fighting (though if the weather does not cooperate, we can move this
inside with little effort), there are "activity rooms" for setting up
tables to display various arts and sciences (tables will be provided),
there is a "family style" room with a fireplace which would be wonderful
for bardic performances and there are excellent surfaces to dance
on.  There is even room for equestrians!

While we will probably not get many of the residents to join the SCA
through this demo, there will be print media and the possibility of the
news media there to cover what goes on during the day.  Either would give
the SCA some wonderful publicity, but only if we have a good showing.  I
know the timing is not the best when many are travelling during this
holiday time, but it is for a good cause within the community and will
probably result in some wonderful new members throughout greater Houston
and surrounding areas.

If you are interested in joining the Canton of Westgate at this demo,
please reply to me with a quick email letting me know when during the day
you will be present, how many performance times you would like and for how
long, how much space/many tables you will need, along with any other
special considerations (electrical outlets, etc.)  Once I have the replies,
I can create a schedule that should work for everyone.

Thank you,
Lady Suannoch nighean mhic Chionnich