[Coastal] viking exibit

MGreene@mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Wed Aug 8 09:49:03 PDT 2001

Bors said:
" Lets suppose for a minute that the Museum of Natural Science had a
drawing
and the winner could choose one item from the Viking exhibit to keep. If
you
were the winner, what would you choose and why?

My personal likes were all the metalsmithing examples... especially the
double broaches with the chains strung between them (it had oxidized
green), the one that was replicated on the full dressed Viking woman
outfit.   Also liked the enameled casket (wanted to see the back better and
the inside structure) and the small samples found of decorative and woven
metal chain.    The bone carved hair pieces (or were they pins?) were nice
too.

Why?    I picked up three new books over the last month on making woven and
decorative metal chains, and have been looking for existing sources of
historical samples.  Hey... this is first source material!   Can't beat
that!    I bought the exhibit book, and immediately pulled out my
magnifying loop to look at the details of the chain construction so I can
try to replicate it.
Hillary  (who is planning a day to return with notebook to study the
details further)