[Coastal] Viking exhibit at Houston Museum of Natural Science

Michael Scofield ivar_runamagi at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:53:55 PDT 2001

Greetings to my cousins in the Coastal Region, especially in the Stargate. I
am Ivar Runamagi, residing in Bjornsborg, also a member of the Ansteorran
Longship Company. As many of you may know, the Smithsonian Museum exhibit
"Vikings: the North Atlantic Saga" is coming to the Houston Museum of
Natural Science. It opens to the public on July 14 and runs until October
14.

The museum staff has asked the Ansteorran Longship Company to help make this
a memorable exhibit by doing two things. First, our longboat, Skelmir, will
be on display in the lobby of the museum for the entire run of the exhibit.
This in itself is almost beyond our wildest dreams. But, secondly, they have
asked us to have a couple of our members at the museum for every weekend to
talk about the various aspects of the Viking Age and the westward expansion
to the museum visitors. We are hard at work getting our clothing and
accessories correct (not your normal SCA
t-tunics and pants).

In order to do these presentations at the museum we need the help of a few
residents of Stargate. We need crash space for all but the first weekend for
two or three people on each weekend. We do not want to impose on any one
person, or household, for all of the weekends. Therefore, if you are willing
to have a couple of Vikings stay at your house for Friday and Saturday
nights, at any time during the run of the exhibit (July 21 through October
13), please let me know. I am looking into getting passes for the museum for
our hosts (2 per weekend), but the museum has not responded to that yet.

We are all prepared to spread a sleeping bag in a corner and we will be
eating at restaurants, not at your home. So don't let the fact that you
don't have that many bedrooms stop you. Of course, we would like to shower
either when we get done at the museum or in the morning before we head off
to the museum. And so you can plan, the museum opens at 9 A.M. closing is at
6 I belive, but we will probably stay later to take advantage of the
priceless items close to our recreationists hearts. We will always arrive at
our hosts home before 9 P.M. on Saturday. Friday night arrivals will depend
on who is coming, and when they get off work in San Antonio.

We are not picky, but the closer to downtown Houston, and the easier to find
your house, the better. Seems like it is easy to get lost in Houston, unless
you live there, and we don't.

We just can not afford to stay in a hotel for all of the weekends, or we
would not be asking for this favor.

If you have questions, or wish to volunteer your abode, please feel free to
contact me.

Thank you,

Ivar Runamagi
mka Mike Scofield
    210.432.2082 home
    210.523.5696 work (8:30-5:30)
    210.601.9185 cell

e-mail is usually the best way to get me