[Coastal] Gatesedge Doomsday

Jessica jessicad at wt.net
Wed Jan 30 17:43:50 PST 2002

I happen to have a copy of the Domesday Book on me :)

To summarize from the back cover: The survey began in William the
Conqueror's Christmas Court of 1085.  Basically, people were whining about
who owned what, and what the official rent was on the land the abbey was
on, who fished in the eel pond, how many horses the town supplied to the
king's army, and so on. Anything that might be disputed later was recorded
- about 13,000 "settlements".

According to intro stuff, it was referred to as the "Domesday" (doomsday)
book later. It seems it was a slightly vicious nickname. To quote the
intro: "because of the association with the Day of Judgement, that terrible
verdict against which there was no appeal."

Omninous, huh?
Jessica