[Coastal] Book binding/making

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 17:56:00 PDT 2002

Bia said:
>If you are in the Houston Area, they used to have a class from time to time
>at Texas Art Supply.  You may want to call them and the Glassel School of
>Art.  They taught some public classes in the past.

Excellent source, thank Bia, when you check out the Glassell school (and
even UH Fine Arts) you will want to look at the printing departments, as
they are the one's with bookbinding classes, and make the books oft of the
pages they printed.  They sometimes have classes on papermaking as well.
Other local Houston sources include the Museum of Printing History near
Allen Parkway and Waugh, they have craft departments where if you are member
of their 'guilds' you can use their equipment.  Also, check out Leisure
Learning and the Art League of Houston for their classes... the subjects
vary from time to time.

By way of books there are a ton of them out there, from oriental binding
(one of my favorites) to western binding (such as we see today in good sewn
bindings with leather covers).  You can find books at the regular book
stores as well as Tx. Art Supply.  Depending on what type of binding you
wish to do, I can recommend some good books to check out.

There used to be a bookbinders guild in Houston, but it went defunct when
they lost their guild space (pity, it was really cool). But, for other
classes check out the Southwest Art Center in San Antonio
(http://www.swschool.org/)   and the Craft Guild of Dallas
(http://www.craftguildofdallas.com/).

For serious bookbinding, check out the Guild of Book Workers
(http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/) and their various links.  Also
there is an SCA bookbinders website at:
public group and you can read the archives.

I highly recommend SCA'ers take advantage of mundane art classes, even
thought the subjects are sometimes geared to the modern verses classical
arts, as you still learn technique, 'bench' tricks and use of materials.
Let me know if I can help with anything specific.
Cheers,  Hillary Greenslade
hillaryrg at yahoo.com