[Coastal] Where can I rent space?

MGreene@mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Fri May 10 08:11:14 PDT 2002

Teleri said:
>I'm looking to rent space to teach classes (to the world at large, not
>necessarily SCA-related), and thought perhaps some of you who have
organized
>events in Houston might be able to give me a lead on something suitable. I
>don't need much -- just a room with tables, chairs, water, a restroom.

Thought some of the rest of you might want the same info, so here goes.:
*   Public libraries have rooms available, I've gone to classes where a fee
was charged, probably have to pay the library for the room rental.
*   Community centers:
    1.   there is one for Harris County (don't recall the name) behind the
Farm and Ranch club on Patterson and Hwy 6, just past the resouvoir and
before Clay road.
    2.   Susan Gee Community Center (probably your best bet!), its at
Richmond and Belt 8, (the Houston Callig. Guild holds its functions
there...they pay for the site use.)
    3.  Depending on what you are teaching, you could work out a deal with
the local community colleges, especially if you offered a few seats in the
class for 'scholarship' students to be a part of it from the college.   Or
get listed with the Continuing Education programs at the schools;  I'm
always getting flyers for the continuing education programs through HCC,
Harris County and Katy school programs, and there are often art programs
listed.
   4.  Jewish community centers,  I'm told by a friend that you don't have
to be jewish to teach there or go to their programs or classes.   There is
one located at Dairy Ashford just south of I-10.

*  Art Stores:
   1.  Texas Art supply (both locations) have a classroom available
   2.  Art League of Houston as well.
   3.  the new Houston Contemporary Art Center has a classroom, but I
suspect its booked up right now.. but you never know, you could be put on
part of schedule and get on their calendar.     Really nice center, located
near downtown, on Main and 59.
   4.  Art Supply, I think that is the name, they used to be at Richmond
and Montrose, moved to somewhere around Milam or Fannin, near Hi-Fashion
Fabrics.  They were converting a large building with loft studios on the
floor above, and they had some room in back for classrooms, but I don't
know if they ever made a go of it.   I knew the couple who owned the store,
but its been a few years since I headed down there.

* Others:
   1.  Leisure Learning have spaces in their location at Richmond near
Kirby, and they are always looking for teachers on their schedule, great
advertising available via their monthly brocure..  I don't know what the
cut is back to the business for your class fee, but lots of folks use their
facilities, so it may be worth the trade for the facility and advertising
in leiu of keeping all you class fee.  I've taken lots of classes there,
and several of the calligraphers have taught though them.
   2.   And, I had a friend working a studio space in some artist
lofts/studios somewhere down in the heights I think, they may have room
down there for rental...it was a very rustic strange building, converted
from a warehouse; don't recall the name but I could find out, you might
have to bring all your own equipment and tables, etc, but not sure.

Best of luck,
Hillary