[Coastal] Coastal Badge (was Coastal Coordination) - sorta long

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 14:45:04 PDT 2005

Coastal badge:  Excellent ideas, all of them.
Some of the top heralds in the SCA are right here in the Coast.
Perhaps the Coastal Herald could gathered the badge suggestions,
and the Coastal branch heralds can run the ideas through a heraldry
check, to narrow down the choices.

Present the top-3-registerable designs at a large Coastal event
(Bordermarch Baronial-May 14, or Loch Guardian - May 21)
or via some online tally.  When the region participates in the choices
by a deadline; register the badge via the Ansteorran 'fast track'
express registration.  (Course, we could just leave the design
up to the Heralds, to do what they do best and tell us the choice.)

If the Coast finalizes a regional badge, it might be a wise idea
to register it, so it can't be copied, etc.;  especially if folks go to
the expense of making banners and tabards.   Once registered, all marshalling
groups can apply it to their garments.  If we act quickly, the badge may
be registered before next Gulf Wars, in time to unveil it before our armies.

After suggesting shoulder dags, I kinda like the idea of an augmentation
of the Coastal badge onto the Ansteorran tabard, as differing marshalling
groups (archery, rapier, etc) may have issues with, as it was put, 'shoulder flaps',
getting in the way of their sports activities.  Those wanting shoulder dags
could still have them for branch and household or such.

Folks in the 'Defenders of the Coast' unit, have already invested in tabards
and banners, in a simple split red and blue badge, I think it's blazon is:
'Per bend sinister, gules and azure', essentially a diagonal line from upper
right down to lower left, the upper left half is red and the lower right half
is blue (but I could have it backwards).

I'm thinking a sable 10pt star could be added over the above current badge, for even
though 'color on color' might apply which would not allow black over red & blue,
I'm thinking it would be 'charge overall', so that might be allowed.  Those who
already have tabards in the current 'Defender' colors, just add a black star onto it.

The blue and red of the current badge could symbolize the blue waters of our coast
and the 'Coast' is the southern-most part of the kingdom, somewhat like the red mound
at the bottom of the Ansteorran device.
(OK, so I'm big into symbolism - can't help it, I'm a scribe!)

While we are at it, the Coast should develop a motto, battlecry... something like
'By sand and sea, by the rising star, the Coast conquers!'

Perhaps Caitrin of Bordermarch whose pursing this for all the Coast, and
Neassa of Stargate, who was involved in the first device for the 'Defenders of the Coast',
could get together with Coastal Herald, Alden Drake and come up with a plan.

Cheers, Hillary Greenslade