[Coastal] trebuchet

Steelquist, John F John.F.Steelquist at boeing.com
Mon May 9 08:48:12 PDT 2005

Here's the simple explanation of the footprint rule: 18 square feet = 3 foot by 6 foot.

Most trebs built to fall into this category tend to be about 6 feet front to back and 3 feet side to side.  The scale "Warwolf" out of the box is too small - being a little generous - it's 3 foot by 3 foot = 9 square feet.  It also seems a little underpowered, actually.  They claim to get a 1 pound shot about 100 feet.  Our maximum range is 80 *yards* (or 240 feet), throwing not so-aerodynamic 4 tennis ball 'rocks'.  100 feet is *well* within the archers range - you'll get shot up before you get the second shot off... :)

However, footprint is easy to scale up - just mount the thing on a larger footprint 'cart' (wheels are a *very, very* good invention).  Range is harder - more weight will get you more range, but it's almost exponential - and you'll quickly run out of room / strength to hold the weight.

Also be aware that SCA engines must have a mechanical crank - that's to slow the engine's rate of fire down to something more reasonable and for safety.

Not to be too down - they sell the plans, and they should scale up just fine.  And if I remember, Ron Toms is very helpful.  And there are other plans, and lots of good engineering stuff on his site...

Ulsted