[Coastal] Guidelines for Children's A&S at Tourney by the Loch

wyllowmacm at netscape.net wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Tue Oct 9 21:49:54 PDT 2007

Greetings from Wyllow of the Loch unto all of our young artisans and
scholars who wish to display their skills to the Populace of the Loch!

Forgive me for my late arrival with these guidelines.  I fear I have
been chasing behind the Town Crier, unable to catch up with him.

The rules are simple.
- Any child or youth not competing at the adult level is allowed to
enter a piece of work.
- Documentation **in the child's own words** is required -  however,
it can be done the day of the competition.  (I will have cards,
pencils, and some basic resource books at the table.)  The 5x8 Index
Card Documentation method below is recommended, especially for first-
time entries.
- Children too young to write may "hire" a scribe to put their words
to paper.  And s/he may request help from those more knowledgeable
than him/herself.
We will be using the Kingdom Judging forms, so that, if the child has
entered before, s/he can compare this year's score with previous
years, to see how s/he has improved.  When an entry is about to be
judged, we will try to find the child, so s/he can hear what the
judges look for, answer questions, and receive immediate feedback.
(Yes, we will specifically recruit judges who know how to mentor &
encourage the youth.)

These are the same rules we have used for the past 2 (3?) years.
Following are the Index Card Documentation instructions.  Again -
don't let the documentation discourage your child from entering.  I
will help him or her with it on-site, if it is not already done.  If
you have any questions, please contact me at <wyllowmacm at netscape.net>.

5x8 Index-Card Documentation:
On an Index card write:

1. What you are entering.
Just describe it in a title - When/where/what technique is good.
"15th Century French Pottery Vase"

2. How others did it in the Middle Ages.
When & where did it come from?
What did they use it for?
What materials did they use?
What tools?
Do any examples of it still exist?
Find a picture!

3. How YOU did it.
What did you do differently?
Why?
Was it for safety?
Were you using the stuff you had at hand?
Were you making it for a special purpose?

4. Any references
Write down any books or magazines you used to learn about this, or
the name of the person who helped you.
And put your name on the bottom or back of the card - so we can find
you.