[Coastal] Tuesday chivalric fighter practice

Dave Wise wiselaw at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 13:57:34 PDT 2008

This is one reason why I've been trying to get in touch with fighters in the
greater Houston area, so that we can figure out where folks are and what
their schedules look like.  First, trying to make sure that everyone is
aware of every opportunity to fight or train and second to make sure that
the practices are set for times that are convenient to the largest number of
folks.

I also see a hard conflict with the Tuesday practices, because for awhile
now we have barely had enough folks attending the Tuesday practices to make
them viable (and a number of times that there weren't folks at all).  The
difficulty is that until we increase the number of fighters, we don't have
enough folks to ensure there will be a solid practice with opportunities to
both fight and train.  Another problem however, is just the logistics of the
size of the Houston metroplex.  As Alden points out, even if there is a
practice on Tuesday evenings, for folks on the north or far west side of
town, it is still difficult to make it to a practice down on the southeast
side of town (and conversely for folks in the Loch to make it up to Gates
Edge, etc.).

I am guessing that it will take a bit of working out to develop the best
routine for folks.  One idea that has worked in the past is to set a
schedule to designate special practices where the folks who are willing to
travel can congregate to provide opportunities for fighting or training that
might not be as available for local practices.  Similar to the knight's
schools being run out in Austin, perhaps we can take a traveling road show
of sorts to hit the various local practices, i.e. loch, then stargate, then
gate's edge, etc. to have practices that are more training oriented and give
folks a wider variety of opponents than they might get on a regular basis.

If folks are interested, then it's time to speak up.  There are folks who
are willing to travel to provide training as well as fighting, just like to
make sure there are interested students :)

Regards, Alexis

I can certainly appreciate His Excellency Stargate's desire to continue
with a Tuesday night practice at UH, but I wonder if that desire might
change now that the Loch has changed the location of its Tuesday night
practice to Randolph Park.  For Stargate to continue a Tuesday night
practice at UH it would then compete with Loch's practice night.

I won't likely be able to make it to Randolph Park as regularly as I can
UH (when I'm not taking PM classes at least) because the drive becomes a
bit prohibitive for me on a weeknight.  I can (and still would) make a
practice at UH either in addition to, or as a make-up for, the Sunday
practice (I really want to get to two practices a week soon), but I
think Tuesday night now becomes less than ideal if the Loch can't make
it due to their own scheduled practice, as I'd think we would want them
to be able to come out and play too.

Alden