[Coastal] Tuesday chivalric fighter practice

John Hirling jhirling at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 06:24:19 PDT 2008

Let me try to make clear my position with regard to the Tuesday night U of H
heavy weapons fighter practice.  When the issue first came up in Stargate, I
supported the Tuesday night practice continuing for two reasons: 1) I wanted
to support those Loch fighters for whom the Tuesday night practice was their
primary practice (as well as the Stargate fighters and others who either
liked the Tuesday evening practice or wanted two practices), and 2) it was
my information that we had a fighter willing to be a deputy to the Knight
Marshall who would take responsibility for the practice.  In point of fact,
the Loch heavy fighters were central to my position about Tuesday night.

Since Loch decided it was in their best interests to move their heavy
weapons practice to a more convenient location for them (a decision that is
perfectly understandable), reason 1) above, is more than a little
mitigated.  I would only support continuing heavy weapons practice on
Tuesday evening at U of H if there are sufficient fighters who want it,
would regularly support it and who would not otherwise make the Loch
practice.  There would, of course, also have to be a certified Marshall who
would assume responsibility.

I suppose that I should have responded earlier on this subject since it
appears my failure to do so has led to some confusion with regard to my
position.  Madog, my friend, you are clearly only respnding to what you
believe to be true from what you have read or heard.  Nevertheless, I would
greatly appreciate it if before people attribute words and motives to me --
or assume that what other people have attributed to me is accurate, that
they talk with me personally.

ihon vinson macFergus
Baron of Stargate

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Matt Gilson <madogofglastonbury at hotmail.com
> wrote:

>  I logged on tonight to share thoughts that had come to me after reading
> yesterday's posts, only to see that Arthur had made most of them himself.
> So, let me second some thoughts and add a couple others:
>
> Yes, the Loch made the decision to move this practice on their own.  For
> those not involved in the discussion, the announcement may have felt
> sudden. However, this was not unlike the way Stargate made the decision to
> shift their support to a Sunday practice.  There was no formal consultation
> with the Loch (or at least its Knight Marshall) before that decision.
>
> Yes, this makes practice farther away for those from bordering groups that
> would like to participate.  However, keep in mind, as Arthur said, the Loch
> extends to such areas as Galveston and Angleton.  The drive to U of H has
> for years been just as arduous for them as the drive to the new
> location will be for many.
>
> To Baron Ihon, regarding the continuance of Tuesday practices at U of H, I
> would entreat you to alternately consider (as Arthur suggested last night)
> encouraging Stargate fighters to drive down & support Tuesday practice in
> the Loch, as several Loch fighters have supported the Sunday practices in
> Memorial Park.  Everyone is welcome!  There is plenty of space and plenty of
> parking.  (And, unfortunately, plenty of mosquitos to go around too, so come
> prepared.)
>
> Yes, recruitment is a tough issue, we could debate for ages about who we
> should try to recruit, and  about what venues we should devote to that
> versus waht venues we should use to focus on our own practice &
> development.  All that aside though, from the single data point of last
> night, we saw as many serious inquiries from dads picking their kids up from
> football practice in that one night than we had during my last six months as
> Knight Marshall up at U of H.  Arthur may be right about the U of H location
> not being as prime as it once was.
>
> Madog
> former Loch Knight Marshall
> stick-jock
> loudmouth--er, I mean bard
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:18:53 -0500
> From: dreifuerst at gmail.com
> To: coastal at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Coastal] Tuesday chivalric fighter practice
>

> Hail fellow Chivalric/Armored Combatants and combat enthusiasts,
> <snip>
>
> Here's my proposed solution...
>
> Come to Sunday Fighter Practice in Memorial Park.  If you want more
> fighting, follow the Clearlake commuters down to FM 2351(just a scant 18
> mile farther down I-45) for the Loch's Tuesday night practice.  Give then
> the courtesy of supplementing *their* fighter practice just as they have
> done for us for years.
>
> In Service to Baron and King,
>
> Arthur Morganson
> Stargate Knight Marshal
> [...]

" The heart of the human problem is the heart of the human." Max Lucado