[Coastal] King's College Basic Dyeing Class

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Tue Jun 15 19:27:02 PDT 2010

Greetings to the Fiber Artisans attending Kings College, from Wylloc
of the Loch!

I am offering my Beginning Dyeing class at this King's College - then
packing up my dyepots until I find a new home & hearth friendly to
such endeavors.  If you've been considering taking this class from
me, this is your last opportunity for the next few years.

This is a beginner's class - No previous knowledge is required.  We
will cover simple kitchen and garden dyes, Old-World Greater dyes,
and New World wood dyes.  You will learn which mordants will allow
your fibers to take a dye, and how to sadden or brighten your results
to the shade that you want.  Due to the messy nature of this craft,
we will be outdoors.  Plan to get warm, wet, & stained when you
choose your garb for the morning.   Also, this runs over lunchtime -
plan to eat early/late or have food discretely delivered, if you take
this class.

You will leave the class with a sample card, and enough wool fiber to
turn into a small project.  You may bring your own samples (at least
12 small skeins/rolags/swatches), or use the samples of wool, silk,
and cotton provided.  You may also bring a  small skein (30 yards or
less) of wool or silk yarn, a couple rolangs of cleaned wool, or a
cotton or silk handkerchief to dunk in your favorite bath.

Well-behaved children and youth are welcome - if you trust your child
with poisonous materials, they may attend with minimal supervision.
I'll have a food-safe onionskin pot for youngest dyers attending with
a parent.

Class Limit: 12 dyers
Class Fee: $3 donation requested to cover materials

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to write to me
before the class.

In Service to the Dream,
H.L. Willoc mac Muiredaig