[Coastal] Seawinds Defender 2013

Patty prand at swbell.net
Sat Oct 19 10:13:34 PDT 2013

Greetings!
Seawinds Defender is just a week away!  I apologize for our website not having been updated but we are experiencing difficulties with access.  You can however access a map to site from last year's event page on our website.  I know this is long but here is information about Seawinds Defender.    Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Caitriona, Event Steward  prand at swbell.net

Sharpen your axes, draw your swords and sail forth to the Shire of Seawinds for some good old fashioned Viking mayhem!
Come for the thrill of competition and stay for a Viking inspired feast and revelry under the stars.
The event will be held at the beautiful La Fruta County Park near Mathis TX.
Site Fees:
Adults (18 & up)  $10
Children:  $
Family Max:  $30
Feast:  $10  Limited to 50  Feast reservations can be sent to HL Avelyn Blakenye  scarletpimpernel at lycos.com

Site opens at 5pm on Friday and closes at noon on Sunday.
Camping is available!  The park is beautiful.  Limited access to water and electricity.  One bathroom on site, additional port-o -potties available.  No showers.  Pets on leash are okay.
Check it out at:  http://sanpatriciocountyparks.com/

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PARK GATES CLOSE AT MIDNIGHT AND REOPEN AT 8AM

Directions:  Take your best route to Mathis; follow TX359 south towards Lake Corpus Christi.  After 4 miles, turn left on to CR1092 and then right on to CR1094.  Proceed through the gates into the park.  Look for the SCA signs along the route.
GPS coordinates:  28.044095,-97.855571

COMPETITIONS:

CHIVALRIC:
Unusual fighting formats guaranteed to be remembered by all...
Fight Like Oden: Eye patch and spear
Oar Dance: Balance on the oars while fighting
Holmgang:  World's smallest list field?
And back by popular demand:
Smack Talking Puppets!  Single sword with a Viking theme puppet on your gauntlet covered off hand.  Puppet should be Norse in nature. Historical, mythological or a puppet version of your favorite Viking person in the SCA.  Fighter please prepare a boast designed to entertain the shield maidens.  They will be judging you for creativity, appearance and prowess throughout the day.

RAPIER:
Depending on the number of fighter there will be at least 5 rounds, round robin style for each round and the two fighters with the most wins will have a best 2 out of 3.  At the beginning of each round robin round, each fighter will irk a die to determine what style they will fight for the entire round.

ARCHERY:
You can be certain that our current Archery Defender, HRM Nicollet will test you skills during the archery tournament.

GUSTATORY:
'As the 2012 Seawind's Gustatory Defender I am excited to host the 2013 Gustatory Defender.  This years theme will be a Viking Luncheon.  So it's time to research those Viking dishes you've wanted to try.  More details soon.'
Mariana Mariana

A&S:
Viking Theme.  Minimal documentation.  We will be using the Ansteorran judging forms to give you great feedback.  Fisrt timers are encouraged to compete.   A prize will be presented to the novice artisan who impresses Mistress Joanna the Spinner.

BARDIC:
Norse theme encouraged bu not required  Competitors are asked to perform two pieces: one filk, one original.  Can be serious or silly, period correct or period influenced.  No documentation required

OTHER ACTIVITIES:

LADIES GALLERY AND TEA:
You are invited to a tea party, a Frost Giant tea party.  Join us under the Shire pavilion at the Chivalric list field to enjoy an array of treats at the Frost Giant child's table.  Sweets and savories, cookies and cakes, meats and veggies and many types of libations for all ages await you.  Bring your own tea cup, if you wish, and don't forget to hold out your pinky finger when you make the "clink" sound when toasting with your cup.

Ladies in attendance will be given favors to award Chivalric & Rapier competitors during the fighting.  Categories in which fighters can earn ladies favors are: Best Dressed, Best Death, Best Boast (all competitors will need to offer their best boast of why they are fighting today), and Best Attitude (may not be the best fighter, but displayed the best attitude as a competitor).  Winners of the Ladies Choice will be announced at evening court.

SILENT AUCTION:
This auction will be going to help Blyth Swartsfagger
Blyth allowed us to use her dance studio this summer for our A&S gatherings while our regular location was remodeling.  Blyth has been dealing with cancer this year and has had to make many trips to Houston for treatments and surgery which has been very costly.  Your support is appreciated.
The Texas Gypsies will perform before feast as a thank you to the shire.

LUNCH:
Everyone will be invited to taste the delicious food prepared by our gustatory competitors.  In addition, Coastal Thunder will host a luncheon of a variety of soups, bread, fruit and veggies.  Donations appreciated but not required.

FEAST MENU:
Sausage
Samit (herbed soft cheese)
Hard boiled eggs
Beer bread/crisp bread

Mushroom and cheese pasty
mustard sauce
roasted apples
greens with vinaigrette

honeyed roast beef
roasted carrots and onions
Frumenty

Dessert
Sweet bread and crisp bread  with fresh fruit, honey and butter

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:
Friday:
5pm   Gate opens
7pm   Hospitality--FOOD!
12am  Gate close

Saturday:
8am        Gate reopens      Breakfast is served!
9am         Armor inspection/ A&S set up
10am       Morning court at HRM Nicollet's discretion
10:30am  Chivlaric/Rapier Competitions begin
                 Ladies Gallery and Frost Giant Tea
                 Silent Auction begins
11am         A&S judging begins/Gustatory set up
11:30am   Gustatory judging begins
noon         Lunch break
1pm        Chivlaric and Rapier continue   Gate closes
2pm        Archery competition begins
3pm        Bardic Competition
4pm        Silent auction ends/ pick up A&S
5:30        Evening court at HRM discretion
6:30pm   Feast
8:30pm   Open Bardic Circle

Sunday  Site closes at noon