[DFT] crown tourney trick or treat idea

kristid2001 at yahoo.com kristid2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 16:11:28 PDT 2003

Save me some cans!

For my non-SCA friends/family who get this-it's for an SCA project :)

I am making Trick-or-Treat candle lanterns for use at a table or to be strung in a tree for Crown Tourney kid's trick-or-treat. I had originally planned on only making a few for my camp, but it's one way to help with the designation of who's passing out candy.

I would like for everyone to save 3 or 4 tin cans (soup or coffee size).  Just peel the label off, wash and dry it and deposit them on my porch or call me to pick them up.

I will draw a design a few inches from the bottom up on the outside of the can, fill it with water and freeze it. The ice keeps the can from collapsing when you punch a hole in the can. After the water freezes, you punch/drill holes to outline the designs you drew. The problem is the traditional method of hammering holes in the cans. I think I can use my cordless drill and possibly the dremmel tool to speed up the process, not to mention making it a wee bit safer. Then punch/drill two holes near the top of the can to thread baling wire thru ro make a handle/hanger. Place an inch or so of sand or kitty litter in the bottom, and place a tealight or votive candle in it then light it. Voila'.

If you have nothing to do, come by my place Tuesday night. I'm planning to start work on them some time after I get home from work at 6pm. Just e-mail me if you're interested in helping. I live in a small apartment, so only have room for a few people to work. THANK YOU!!!
Kristi