[DFT] Elfsea Springfaire - Thanks and Congratulations

Armand Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Mon Apr 12 00:30:59 PDT 2004

Unto all who come by these words do the Baron and Baroness of Elfsea send
greetings,

To Their Majesties, King Miguel & Queen Conal, and all who traveled to
Elfsea Springfaire, we extend our sincerest gratitude for adding to the fun
shared by so many. We commend our autocrats, HL Medb Liath and Lady
Elizabeth Pendarvis, for their dedication to this event and to all of their
event staff and the many selfless volunteers. You successfully delivered
what we had hoped for; an intimate event where fun and comradery were
paramount. We express our admiration and gratitude to Master Darius and
Mistress Rosalia who saw to our needs from start to finish on a very
ambitious day. You again showed us "what Peers do" with your service, wisdom
and counsel, as herald and entourage. Thank you!

Congratulations to our newest titled champions:

Elfsea Artisan: Lord Vincenzo Cellini
Elfsea Bard: Master Robin of Gilwell
Elfsea King of Fools: His Travesty, Lord William Worm II

We appreciate all who participated in the day's competitions and those who
helped with the difficult task of identifying our titled champions.

Thanks to HL Asa Hrafnasdottir and many of Elfsea's past artisan champions:
Mistress Stella, HL Suzanna the Herbalist, Mistress Gwynaeth Angharad of
Glamorgan and HL Juliana Vertue. This year's Springfaire bore witness to
several new ideas, not least of which was a change in format for the artisan
competition. In place of a traditional body-of-work competition, we wanted
to see what an emphasis on a limited number of pieces would bring. Artisans
entered up to three of their finest items, with one primary item. The result
was a most impressive array of exceedingly high quality works. The judging
was thus all the more difficult.

As representative, our outgoing Bard, Sir Keif av Keirsted who was detained
in a distant land, sent Lord Snorri Hallson who rendered superb assistance
directing the bardic competition and providing invaluable counsel along with
Dona Antonia Bianca Santiago da Lagos. Again, something new was tried. An
audition round was held in the gardens under the gazebo, where performances
of roughly 5 minutes or less were considered. This was followed by a final
round of four competitors, delivering pieces amidst distractions, during the
evening feast. Lord Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain, Lady Michelle de Buseby, Lord
Grimulf Einarsson and Master Robin of Gilwell each delivered amazing
performances.

We give special thanks to the outgoing Elfsea Fool, Miscount Modius I, for
setting the tone for a fun filled day. His sense of style and colorful flair
has scarred us, er, left us with unforgettable memories! The dancing girls
were particularly appreciated, by His Excellency. The No-Count Crandal, His
Former Travesty Raimond, and (due to a short reign) Discount Seamus, along
with His Travesty Worm II filled the day with smiles, a few surprises and
some downright scary moments. Thank you to our stealth judges, Modius,
Darius, Ryan, Caitlin and the rest of the children.

Beyond our titled competitions, we extend our thanks to LADY Irina and Lady
Janie who we saw all over the place helping from the very start filling in
at gate, helping with feast and more. Thank you to HL Caelin and Lord Caius
and their staff for the delicious sideboard lunch and superb evening feast.
Though Youth Combat saw limited numbers, it did not limit their chivalry and
honor. Robert and Dylan fought a best 2 out of three, displaying fierce but
controlled aggression, chivalrously yielding weapon advantages and dying in
style; as well, if not better, than many adult competitors. Well done, and
thank you to Lord Daire, Lady Donnel and Lord Dohmnalll for organizing and
marshalling the youth tournament. Elsewhere, Earl Drake emerged victorious
in the Chivalric List. Don Modius claimed the Rapier list and Lord Jacques
the Spink was deadliest in the Archery List. Congratulations! Thank you to
the coordinators, Lord Daire, Lord Dirk and HL Fearghus. And, once again,
the "List Babes"(tm) were awesome. Lady Gerita, Lady Genevieve and all the
water bearers whose task was all the more challenging due to the cloud-cover
and chilly temperatures. Thank you Lady Eithne the Healer, for your services
as CIC, Lady LeNieve with the Children's activities, and all those who
assisted with the morning egg hunt. Thank you Lady Sibri for coordinating
prizes and Lady Innes for coordinating merchants.

We offer a hearty VIVAT! to all who received well-deserved awards:

Portcullis - Kerrick de Castelle
Portcullis - Asa Hrafnasdottir (from August 2003)
Sable Shield - Surge (premier)
Sable Shield - Lord Gareth (premier)
Award of Arms - Sabine du Curtier
Award of Arms - Irina Moreskaia
Sable Crane - Magdalea Mac an Ghabhann
Sable Thistle (Weaving) - Ker Megan of Taransay
Sable Thistle (Embroidery) - Maria Cabeca de Vaca
Star of Merit - Medb Liath
Iris of Merit - Desiree Dupre

The Sable Shield is a new non-armigerous award from Their Majesties honoring
service beyond our Society. While I cannot relate the exact text or
constitution, military service to our country in a time of war was cited.

In the late afternoon court, the populace of the SHIRE of Loch Ruadh gave
tribute to the Crown and Barony with an emotional stream of individual
presentations. Loch Ruadh and it's populace holds a special place in our
hearts and we have tremendous faith in their continued success and bright
future. Though the Crown has released us from our stewardship of Loch Ruadh,
we know our friendship will endure. May you future be prosperous and your
troubles few.

In evening court, Their Majesties did express a desire to name Mistress
Serena Lascelles to the Order of the Pelican. Mistress Serena did consent
and confirmed Steppes Warlord as the date for her elevation. Vivat, Mistress
Serena!

Springfaire was a resounding success, in spite of the chilly, windy,
occasionally damp weather and holiday weekend. Whether you traveled near or
far, we thank you one and all. Please let us know what you thought of the
new site. The site owner told me today that this time next year will see the
addition of another hall, twice the size of the one we used. It will include
showers and expanded parking and camping areas to the north. So to those who
attended this year, tell your friends. On your next visit, bring your
friends. If you were unalbe to attend, then make plans now for the journey,
for many friends, old and new, await you in Elfsea!

In the service of kingdom & barony, we remain,
Armand & Ameline
Baron & Baroness