[DFT] DFT's Yule A&S competition or They want me to do what?

K A via Dragonsfire-tor dragonsfire-tor at lists.ansteorra.org
Mon Jul 28 15:05:42 PDT 2014

Greetings,

 have received some inquires about the competition and wish to try to
answer those inquires. Here is the rule section that I posted in the
original message about the A&S competition in
 a different format and with added information. If you have questions
about the competition you may contact Lady
Caitrinainhean Mhurchada at tamara at carltons.net

Rules:

1) It is a relaxed and simple 'body of work' competition.

 2) Documentation:

        We only ask for proof you are working on a period piece.

        Your documentation can be a printed
picture of the period piece (with citation) that your piece is based on.

3) You will be provided half of a six foot table to display your pieces.

4) Please provide you own display racks if needed as we are not allowed to attach anything to the walls.

Can you pre-register?
        Yes you can, in fact it would help us know how many tables are needed to accommodate everyone.
        Artisans
wishing to pre-register for space may contactLady
Caitrinainhean Mhurchada - tamara at carltons.net

        She will need the following information:

            Legal name:
            SCA name:
            Group you belong
to (i.e. Steppes, Bjornsborg, etc):
            Your email address:
            Best contact
phone number:
            A brief
description of what you will be displaying:

If you wish further information about what Lady Caitrina expects from
entries in a body of work competition or documentation please contact
her at tamara at carltons.net.

Lady Aaliz's Newcomers to A&S 101

I know we have some new to the SCA and some that have shown an interest
in the SCA. I hope the following information will help answer your
questions about A&S competitions. There are various types of A&S competitions and you can find more information about those in the
handbook I have referenced below. I chose to highlight body of work
competition since that is pertinent to the Tor's competition.

Definition of Body of Work as described in "Handbook for the Artisans of Ansteorra: Participating in the Arts & Sciences in Ansteorra" (6/1/2013)
http://moas.ansteorra.org/handbooks/HandbookfortheArtisansofAnsteorrav2.pdf

Body of Work:
Entering multiple items as a single entry.
    One form is based on Depth - a single art display showing improvement over time.

    Another is based on Breadth - a display of all of the various types of arts that a person has researched and attempted.

 I can not answer for
Lady Caitrina, but I can tell you how I would interpret these rules if I were to enter this competition. Please contact Lady Caitrina for
infromation as to what she expects of the A&S entries.

What time period is the competition?

Lady Caitrina has made that easy
for us - anything that falls into the time period covered by the SCA.

To me body of work could mean:

    1) Depth - pieces of my art form I have made over
the years. If I was a potter, it could be different pottery pieces I had made over the years.

or 2) Breadth- I could enter items I had made showing various art forms from the specified time period of the competition

For me, I would probably select to go with breadth.

So I could enter my Elizabethan feather fan, strawberry tart recipe,
viking board game, a silk painted banner, and a pilgrims shoulder bag.

Documentation:
Proof that the pieces in my entry are time period - picture of a period example with citation.
    This could be a picture of the piece from a period painting or a picture of
period item (extant piece) from a museum. It could be a single picture     of your main piece or pictures of several of the pieces in your entry.

My example - I would copy a picture on computer paper (does not have to be photo paper) of a painting showing Queen Elizabeth with a
feather fan hanging from her waist, then one of a period banner from a
painting or period book, and one of a pilgrims shoulder bag shown in a
period painting. Remember to cite each picture you use.

It is likely that I would not be able to find period pictures of
everything that is in my entry. It is not asked that I do further
documentation, but for those items I would probably at least take a card and cite where I found my information proving that it was a period
piece. Again that is not required of this competition, but may be
helpful to the judges.

I have only been playing in the SCA for 4 years and am relatively new to
this, but I hope the information I have added is helpful to you.
Experienced artisans please add any information you think would be
helpful to newcomers.
Aaliz du Lac, aspiring artisan