ES - Barony of Elfsea E-Mail Mailing List

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Dec 17 09:32:40 PST 1997

Good morning!  Galen of Bristol here!

Your e-mail address, with 26 others, has been selected
by me to be a charter subscriber to the new Elfsea e-mail
mailing list.  Any message sent to <elfsea at ansteorra.org>
will be automatically and promptly resent to all list
subscribers.

Who are the charter subscribers?  They are 27 members of
the Barony of Elfsea, and its subsidiary branches.  You
can obtain a list by sending a note to <majordomo at ansteorra.org>
that says "who elfsea".

How can someone else subscribe?  Anyone may subscribe to this
list by sending a note to <majordomo at ansteorra.org> that
says "subscribe elfsea" or "subscribe elfsea <address>".
Please don't hesitate to alert anyone not already subscribing
to subscribe to this list, if you think they'd be interested.

How can you escape this "honor"?  Any subscriber can unsubscribe
themselves by sending a note to <majordomo at ansteorra.org> that
says "unsubscribe elfsea" or "unsubscribe elfsea <address>".

Where can I learn more about using this list?  E-mail me,
Galen, at <pmitchel at flash.net>, or turn your web browser to
<http://www.ansteorra.org/lists.html >.

Why this list?  To facilitate exchange of information and
ideas within the Barony of Elfsea.  This will help diseminate
information without having to wait for moot or fighter practice,
such as last-minute gatherings or cancellations of gatherings,
things that didn't make it into the _Scroll_ for whatever reason,
how-to questions, and all manner of other topics.  It's no
substitute for putting an announcement in the _Scroll_ and
speaking up at moot, but it sure beats calling a half-dozen
people to tell them fighter practice is rained out.

Rules?  Only these to begin with:
1.  Please maintain SCA standards of courtesy in all posts to
the list.
2.  Please restrict posts to the list to those reasonably expected
to be of interest to a majority of subscribers.
3.  No posting of award recommendations to the list.  The administrator
takes an expansive view of what constitutes an award rec.  "Hey,
he really did a good job on that!" is not a recommendation, but
"I just don't understand why she doesn't have a Sable Doohickey"
_is_ an award recommendation, and should be forwarded privately
to the Baron & Baroness, not posted to the list.  (Yes, this is
one of Galen's hot-button issues.)
4.  Don't use this list to distribute virus warnings (they are
overwhelmingly bogus), internet humor (most of us have seen far
more than we want to, usually more than once), or such things as
the "e-mail snowballs" that periodically go around.

One other thing; this is not a rule, but a fact of life.  E-mail
you send no longer belongs to you; it belongs to the recipient.
E-mail posted to the list becomes, for all intents and purposes,
a public document.  Don't post secrets, and don't get upset if
things you posted aren't held in confidence.

Let's see how much fun we can have with this.

- Galen of Bristol

--
pmitchel at flash.net / http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"Commit principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic."