ES - Documentation Competition

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Apr 1 10:53:33 PST 1998

Phyllis Spurr wrote:

> The recent Gulf Wars brought out the fact  that Ansteorran artisans'
> documentation could be better.  This is where most artisan's lost
> points in the competition.

This is where Eowyn diplomatically fails to recall that if
my bardic piece had had documentation worth only one more
point, Ansteorra would have won the war.  Ah, well, "for
want of a nail..."  Lessons learned and all that.

The items/articles displayed were good,
> the documentation was good.  but the documentation could have been
> better.  Ideally, without judging the workmanship of the item, the
> documentation should be good enough to judge the article.  It would
> include how the article would have been made, how the artisan made
> it, what was different such as I used a modern tool that I bought
> instead of making the tool that would have been used, etc.
>
> Once again, this is just speculation at this point, nothing has been
> put together, no consensus has been reached.  Just my (mis)
> conception of what we were dicussing.
>
> Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys

OK, so we're talking about an A&S competition where you _only_
judge the documentation.  It seems a fair balance for all those
competitions that don't require _any_ documentation.  I'm
still not intrigued enough to enter, but I find myself asking
why bother with the piece at all, why not just enter the
documentation?

- Galen