ES - Are we welcoming enough?

willow l herbert jonwillowpel at juno.com
Mon Apr 27 17:14:41 PDT 1998

Hi Gwennydd this is Willow
I hope I wasn't the brass hat that told you that but If I was I am sorry
for not putting it better.
This brings up a difficult question. If you were around a new person and
they got their titles wrong you would probably try to give them
information but as a brass hat if I try to give data (even if I try to
explain it is OK) the person is often upset. If they find out later that
they used the wrong title and I didn't tell them they are also upset . I
get it coming and going. How would you deal with this situation?
I believe that the courtesy and titles give a special air to our
activities. I believe they do more than all the wall-hangings in the
world in making the magic. Of course, in keeping with my 12th century
background, I believe all should be greeted by their title. I received my
Laurel after being in the SCA for 12 years without a single title. I love
my Mistress but during those 12 years I would had died for a Lady. I know
of many a person who is no longer in Elfsea because after they received
their AOA no one greeted them as Lord or Lady. Most people work very hard
for whatever awards they have gotten and we should all respect them for
their work. I known sometimes we don't agree that someone should get an
award but we shouldn't take away from others that do deserve their
awards.
I would like everyone to get used to using titles and doing the
courtesies. People in the MIddle Ages didn't see them as a boundary but
simply a social greeting.
Willow