ES - Defender A&S

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu Apr 2 12:50:22 PST 1998

Phyllis Spurr wrote:

> > From:          "Terry Harper" <terryharper at hotmail.com>
> > Well, I for one like to keep is simple, however, inclusive.  The basics
> > imho, are:   1)  When was it done?
> >                     2)  Where was it done?
> >                     3)  How did they do it?
> >                     4)  How did I do it differently?
> >                     5)  Materials used then vs. now
> >                     6)  Bibliography, or where you got your info and
> >                         possibly a "for further reading" guide.
> >
> > If a person answers all of these questions, they pretty much have
> > covered documentation.  However, there will always be those who would
> > like to see more info, less info, and so forth.  If we can just get the
> > majority of our artisans into the basics, I believe the fine tuning can
> > be done later.
> >
> > Just my two, (or three) cents worth.
> >
> > Reginlief
>
> I agree with Mistress Reginlief with her above list.  I also like to
> see why a particular project was done and if this is your first
> attempt at a particular form.  If a anything was done differently in
> construction or if different materials were used - why?  In
> the bibliography I like to be able to glance and see which are
> considered primary sources, including page numbers of where you got
> your information.

Actually, I like this list, too.  It seems to bring documentation
down to an "Oh! I can do _that_!" level.

> I like to see all the info on one page with in-depth explanations
> behind the "summary".  This is where your pictures of like items can
> be placed.  When typing your documentation do not shrink the type
> below a 10 pitch to make it fit.  Some of us old-timers can't read
> small print any longer.  If you do not have access to a typewritter
> or computer - you should not be penalized, but sloppy handwriting
> would be.
>
> Place your documentation in some type of folder, preferably not
> stunningly modern.  Take a binder and make a cloth cover for it.  If
> you do leatherwork, make a leatherfolder.

Well, gee, Meistress Eowyn, do you have documentation for leather
folders having been done in period?  Does the folder need to be
of a contemporary culture as the piece being judged?

> Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys

Heee, hee hee!

- Galen