ES - No fighter practice for me tonight

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Wed Apr 22 08:07:15 PDT 1998

Sharon wrote:

> Last night, I received a phone call from a cousin that I have not seen
> since I was 11 years old.  His mom was married to my father's oldest
> brother. She grew up in one of those little villages, before making it to
> the US.  She is in her 80s and if I remember correctly, spoke with a very
> think slovakian/jersey accent.  Only one of my uncles remains alive.  She
> is really the last living link to that wealth of information, since none of
> my fathers siblings were allowed much information, including my dad.
>
> Tonight, Hengist and I get to have dinner with her and my cousin.  My
> sister is faxing me a list of questions.
>
> And they thought they were just going to have a relaxing dinner.
>
> Thanks for letting me consume bandwidth.
>
> Vivaine Taarnfalk

 Vivaine, it does you credit to make such apology, and yet more to treat
a matter of mundane family as more important than a recurring SCA
occasion.

It is by such learning as may be passed from generation to generation that
we all may grow and benefit from the knowledge so preserved.  It saddens
me to think how very many people there are in the modern world who do not
or even refuse to understand the important strength that may be gained from
learning family history from those who lived it. Or learnt it at the knee of
their own cousins, grandparents, and other relations.

Suggestion, which may or may not be practical: use a tape recorder or VCR
to capture the voice and inflections. (One of my regrets now is not getting more

of my grandparent's stories on tape, esp. as my memory has proven less
trustworthy than it should be...)

Good luck, happy remembering, and best of wishes for all concerned!

Amra, amateur genealogist &
unofficial family historian for Baker - Moore - Roebuck - Wylie
--
For "official" purposes: Mike C. Baker
For "fun": Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (SCA)
e-mail: kihe at rocketmail.com, kihe at ticnet.com