ES - No fighter practice for me tonight

Sharon vivaine at flash.net
Wed Apr 22 05:37:53 PDT 1998

My grandparents hailed from slovakia when they were in their teens and met
in New Jersey in the late 1800s.  The little villages that they grew up in,
were near Bratislava, which is about an hour by train from Vienna, Austria.

Most of my relatives from the old country either made it to the United
States, or perished in concentration camps during WWII.  That explains the
handful of Palkowetz' that survived the war, and live in this country.
(Actually written as Palkovich ..which means either 'Paul's Son (apostle
reference as alot of slovaks were  catholic) and "Person who walks with a
big Stick"....I kid you not..it is actually documented. ;)

Finding any family history was not possible until The Wall came down. My
sister made several trips in vain attempts to find family.  In one
afternoon, I met someone on the internet who was able to access records and
discovered my grandmother's birth certificate, along with some of her other
family information. Her name was Katckya Zulick.  Not one of my uncles or
aunt know much of thier family history, as my grandparents were so proud to
be Americans, they felt it better that sleeping dogs lie.

Anyone with a gene for history cannot allow that to happen.

Last night, I received a phone call from a cousin that I have not seen
since I was 11 years old.  His mom was married to my father's oldest
brother. She grew up in one of those little villages, before making it to
the US.  She is in her 80s and if I remember correctly, spoke with a very
think slovakian/jersey accent.  Only one of my uncles remains alive.  She
is really the last living link to that wealth of information, since none of
my fathers siblings were allowed much information, including my dad.

Tonight, Hengist and I get to have dinner with her and my cousin.  My
sister is faxing me a list of questions.

And they thought they were just going to have a relaxing dinner.

Thanks for letting me consume bandwidth.

Vivaine Taarnfalk