ES - For those interested in fighting...

Arabella de Montacute ladyarabella at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 14 12:09:24 PST 1998

     Ok I have a few cents to throw in....  "Combat" is what we ALL do
in the SCA, even Pelicans, even Laurels.
     Pelicans/Proteges fight the task, to see if they can do it to the
best of their abilities.  Fighters do it to win against another person,
pay off - they win - the bout, tourney etc...  What's the pay off for
one of service, the end result? Knowing they helped, a person, a shire,
a canton, a barony, a kingdom, knowing they did it because they love it.
They practice at it.  It's a game... how much can I do for this task and
still get all the other things accomplished which need to be done.
Pelicans/Protege's win when things happen smoothly.  When there are
problems/mistakes they learn what to do differently so the task goes
smoothly next time.
     Laurels/Apprentices also fight.  They fight the knowledge and skill
it takes to produce whatever is of interest to them.  They practice
their skills as well.  Against others, and are judged in a competition.
Those that loose try to figure out what to do differently next time so
they too can win.  Laurels/Apprentices win  when their peers recognize
their work.
      So we all have some form of combat.  Squires watch and learn from
other knights and fighters and strive towards the goal of Knighthood.
Apprentices watch and learn from other artisians and strive towards the
goal of becoming a Laurel.  Proteges watch and learn from the service of
others toward the goal of becoming a Pelican.
     So... what is the importance of winning in SCA combat?  It's all
combat... just depends on how you look at it.
     The answer....... Self Esteem!!!  How you view yourself and your
perception of how others view you.  We do it because it makes us feel
good about ourselves.  It's a rush when we get it right.  It's a warm
feeling when you know you did your best and accomplished what you set
out to do.  - Arabella