ES - Would like your insight and Opinion

Paul Mitchell Paul_Mitchell at Filemaker.com
Tue Dec 15 15:41:52 PST 1998

Galen here...

Lady Simone recently said:

>Greetings,
>
>A few of us have an Idea That we would Like your input on.
>
>I have been playing now going on 20 years, 14 years ago I got into a
>recovery Program and have been sober sence.  At present I am working with
>several individuals who are new to the Socity and are also in a recovery
>program.
>
>We are discusing the posibility of forming a household that while helping
>it's members to work towards goal in the socity. Also is a place were those
>who are in recovery can hang out, and have something to do when they feel
>thier recovey might be in Jepordy.  and for members of the populace who just
>want to be in a place were Alcohol is not.  It would not be an anti-drinking
>place for all of us in recovery have friends who drink who do not have the
>problems with it that some of us in recovery do.
>
>We would like input on how realistic this Idea Is,  what would be your
>opinion of such a house hold.
>
>Thank You
>Simone

I have seen this done, and successfully.

A Palmer Drug Abuse graduate, Lord Hrothbeort of Oak Knoll, on attending
an SCA event, found by Saturday night that everyone he knew on site was
drunk, and this caused him to feel mightily lonely.  Resolving not to
suffer
this again, he founded House Oak Knoll, a group whose members were
committed
not to drink at SCA events, and to be of whatever service they could.
Many,
though by no means all, of their members were recovering alcoholics and
drug addicts.  I know of at least two who simply didn't do that stuff.

A _lot_ of Bryn Gwlad feasts got served by Oak Knoll members.  Several
of them fought; Hrothbeort became squire to Sir Emrys Shaunnon in
Bjornsborg.
Another of their members, Conor mac Cinneide, became my squire, and was
subsequently made a laurel and ultimately knighted.  Lady Rhiannon o Goed
Niwlog, who recently received Bryn Gwlad's baronial award (_long_
overdue!)
was the "mom" of the household.

Eventually, as happens to so many households, the founders moved, found
other jobs, other entertainments, dropped out, or moved on.  I last saw
Hrothbeort at an Elfsea Defender a year or two ago; he was working as a
drug counsellor, and had dropped into an SCA event to visit.  House Oak
Knoll isn't really there anymore.

At some events I get drunk.  At other events I don't drink at all.
Sometimes
not drinking at an event can put you in a pretty small minority.  If you
want to form a group of people who can depend on each other to not drink,
and help each other not to drink, I say more power to you.

- Galen of Bristol