ES - For those interested in fighting...

Richard Threlkeld rjt at acm.org
Mon Dec 14 08:47:57 PST 1998

In one sense, it is all important.  In the middle ages, if you did not win
you often died.  If you are not going to give your all to win in SCA combat,
you should probably not fight.  Of course, a beginner against a knight has
little chance of winning.  But they should try their best to win and gain
experience that they might eventually beat knights (or even - gasp - become
one).

On the other hand, honor is the most important aspect of the SCA dream.  To
lose with honor is far, far better than to win without honor.  To yield
rather than create the impression of dishonor is applauded. To yield rather
than continue fighting a fight which cannot be won with honor is also good.

So, winning with honor is our goal on the field.

Caelin on Andred (otherwise known as Anybody)