ES - For those interested in fighting...

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:53:48 PST 1998

Sir Galen Wrote

<SNIP>

>What is the importance of winning in SCA combat?

This Question came at a wonderful time. I have been working with several
newcomers who are intersted in fighting. and were at the house this evening
when this post came out.  Before I post my opinion, I would like to post the
Opinions of these newcomers to our Barony. Thier responces to this Question
has broght me much Joy.

Johnnathan

Self Esteem you get when while working for a gaol.  wether you win or lose
It is the Self esteem you get while learning to achive your goals.

Bruce

To Learn from the fight even if you win or Lose.  To be able to be humble
and put personal ego aside, in order to congradulate an opponant for a fight
well fought. For if I win without Honor I have Lost the fight, And if I Lose
with Honor I have won.

Brendon
(This is a 15 Year old who dreams to fight when he is old enough)

Even If I lose, My goal is to Keep my head up and stay focused, Having
respect for my opponant, and the list, To fight with Honor. To Learn from my
mistakes, from those which are mor experianced Than I am.

Chris
(Comes to Us from An Tir)

Honor and experianced ganined from each fight regardless if I win or Loose

Collin

To bring Honor to The Lady I fight for, To those who teach me, To those who
fight the list and to kingdom. Wither I win Or lose the Honor and chivalry
shown On the feild im my eye determins who the real winner is.

And Now for Me

Simone

For me to win the list is the dream for every fighter,  But in reality
someone is going to Loose. To strive to win with honor is important, But If
one is so wraped up in the fight that they lose focus of the Joy fighting
brings, Or they lose focus in the honor that comes from a well fought list.
It is time to stop and remeber those first days, the reasons you wanted to
learn to fight.  The Joy that came the first ime you  threw a rap shot
properly, making your first set of Armor, and the pride you felt.  The Awe
you had for those who had gone before you.  The Joy of comradery.

It is more important to win in your attitudes than in the fight. Yes we
fight each list to win but for me that cannot be the Ultimate reason. Though
I no longer fight, when I compete in A bardic or an A&S competion, though
winning wouyld be nice, my goal is to do my best and to show my best, to
compete honestly and with integrety. To learn from my mistkes so that I may
strive to do better the next time. And to show Joy for those who do win,
when I loses.

Lady Simone