ES - - Almars Trivia-new

Joe Bramblett joebramblett at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 16 13:27:16 PST 1998

---Almar Bjarnklo  wrote:

> Ok how about the meaning of a honeymoon <sp>
> Since I am getting married
> soon......... The history of it?

> It was the accepted practice in Babylonia 4,000
> years ago that for a  month after the wedding, the
> bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the
> mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and
> because their calendar was lunar based, this period
> was called the "honey month"
> - or what we know today as the "honeymoon."

And for the bored among you who wonder why...

Apparently, drinking large amounts of mead will alter the body's Ph
level, which has a notable effect on the probability of the drinker's
offspring's gender. As I understand it, mead increases the chance of a
male child.

...so now, whenever someone tells you that all those genetic
engineering experiments to tailor a child to the parents expectations
are a new and evil thing, remember that we've been doing it in far
more primitive ways for 4,000 years, and probably longer.

Conal, the horribly bored at the moment.