ES - simulations

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Sat Dec 26 21:55:59 PST 1998

Greetings and Happy Holidays,

Simulation aren't just fun, although they can and should be.  They are a
valuable training tool.  One that can allow the army's leaders and future
leaders to learn what to do and when to do it before they get in front of a
bunch of folks and look stupid.

They can also be helpful in training groups to work with bigger groups that
are not there.

One of the big problems is where do I fit into the picture?  Why should I do
this instead of that?  Simulations can show folks the big picture.

A leaders job is to train his subordinates to, at some point, take over his
job.  There are many ways to do this, to be sure.  The use of combat
simulations not only to train subordinates but also to plan battles pre
dates our period of interest.

There are some things that a simulation won't do.  It won't teach you how to
put on your armor.  It won't teach you how to swing a sword.  It won't teach
you how to block a blow.
It won't teach you how to shoot a bow.  It won't teach you how to protect
yourself so you won't get trampled after you've been killed in the front
line.  Basic "soldiering techniques" if you will, will still be up to the
individual combatant to master.  However, once that is done then the
simulations can show the combatant is role, whatever that might be, in the
army; wheather the rest of the army is there or not.

Gilli