ES - What is the importance of winning in SCA combat?

JJOHNSON at ccsb.com JJOHNSON at ccsb.com
Mon Dec 14 10:19:24 PST 1998

I agree with everyone about the chivalry and honor, but for me it's goes
down to something more basic.....adrenaline, the thrill of the chase.
Adrenaline was what convinced me, after putting on armor for the first
time and having my butt spanked repeatedly by Mistress Stella, that THIS
IS WHAT I WANT!!!  Sick, huh?

Yep, it boils down to what is important to you as a fighter.  Is it the cheer
from the crowd, or the herald announcing your name as the winner of
the bout?  Is it the thrill of the hunt, or the gratefulness of survival?

I am just a lowly Viscount's Squire, and I have won but a few tournament
bouts.  My desire to win in a tournament is driven by only one thing......
the smile I receive afterward by my knight, Sir Axel.

I love the dream, the camaraderie of the fighters and the family I have
been adopted into in the SCA.  Thank you for letting me play!

No matter what your reasons are for fighting......follow your heart,
Lady Azalais de Bordeaux