ES - Fw: Arlington Animal Shelter

sharon sharon at onramp.net
Tue Jan 6 08:32:26 PST 1998

Zara Zina,

I have to admit, i know how you feel in this whole experience. I received a
kitten from a friend for christmas several years ago. While the thought was
very nice, the cat was sick and died within a month. It was less than one
pound at 8 weeks when it died.

It was a very horrible, scary, sickening experience. The cat was purchased
from Doctor Pets, one of the aweful pet shops in the mall. When we called
about the animal, they told us to take it to a vet (one which they named),
we did, and they told me the cat had something simple and would be ok in a
few days. After $200 (for the antibiotics and "tests") and still a very
sick cat, they told me to bring the cat back. They gave me a full refund
($22) and then told me they would call me back after their vet had seen the
animal. I waited three days and when i called back, they accused me of
putting the cat in that condition, and the animal had passed away. They
were horrible to me. When i described the situation to a vet, he told me
the cat probably had distemper, and i was not to blame.

When Merlyn adopted me, the vet told me, never to buy an animal from
"kitty/doggy mill" pet shops. Also to avoid animal shelters, bec they dont
check out the animals. Your experience was repeated just recently with a
friend of mine.

For anyone who doenst know, a kitten/doggy mill is a breeder of the worst
conditions and they try to mass breed these poor animals for mall pet
shops. If you buy from a pet shop, ask where the animal comes from. If you
buy from a breeder, go SEE the breeder and ask local vets about the breeder
or pet shop. When purchasing a pet, ask about certified shots, see where
the shots are given, and look at how other pets are kept in the back. A
good store will allow you a tour.

It saddens my heart to hear of experiences like this, but hopefully, it
helps prevent someone else for going thru the same thing we have.

Vivaine

At 10:23 AM 1/6/98 PST, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I don't know if the paper will print this, but it sure felt good to write it.
>
>Zara Zina
>
>----------
>> Date: Tuesday, January 06, 1998 10:11:35
>> From: zarazina
>> To: jeers at star-telegram.com
>> Subject: Arlington Animal Shelter
>>
>> Jeers to the Arlington Animal Shelter and the previous owner of Cricket, a
>> Yorkshire Terrier, for allowing a sick and dying dog to be adopted by my
>> family this past Saturday, Jan. 3.  My seven-year old son and six-year old
>> step-son fell in love with little Cricket so we adopted her to be our
family
>> pet.  The Shelter said she was brought there by her previous owner and
>> released for adoption, had no known problems and was about four years old.
>> Since she was spayed and was current on her shots, she only cost $10.00.
 The