ES - Transporting weapons

Mararede at AOL.com Mararede at AOL.com
Fri Jun 12 10:13:02 PDT 1998

     Just to add my two cents worth to the previous discussion about
transporting weapons--I was fortunate enough to be able to take Don Balatar's
"SCA and the Law" class several years ago when I was Seneschal. It was most
informative. Be aware that there are _No_ "costuming laws" that allow you to
carry swords, etc.             Some of the weapons we deal with are real. Even
our rattan weapons can be classified as clubs. Probable cause or not, we must
be very discreet when we transport them. This means, among other things, that
you do not take them out to show to people on your way to or from events, and
you do not threaten rednecks who tick you off, and don't drive under the
influence, etc. . . . Use good sense and good judgement
     We have been very lucky. So far we have had no _major_ incidences.
(Although I'm sure they seemed major enough to the people who have been
arrested for violations!) I ask that you try very hard not to add yourself to
that list; going to jail can ruin your whole weekend!  We really don't want to
become a test case for more strict enforcement of "deadly weapons" laws, do
we?
      Be careful out there!                                      Mara of Rede