ES - Defender's Culture Camps

windell gibson draeco at swbell.net
Mon Jun 1 12:11:08 PDT 1998

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> Matthew Saroff (Please Reply to the pobox address) wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >         What exactly is Chivalric culture?  I think of it more as a
> > political/nobility system thhan a culture, with there being chivalry in
> > Britain, France, Germany, Spain, etc. and each have different cultures, food,
> > and to some degrees different views as to fealty.
> <snip>
> > Matthew Saroff
>
> One cannot answer what _exactly_ is Chivalric culture because a number
> of cultures should be included, like French, English, German, Spanish,
> Polish, and several others, as you rightly point out.  But a chivalric
> camp gives a place to those who identify with one of those chivalric
> cultures
> more easily than with Norse, or Japanese, or Pirate, or Renaissance, or
> Mongol, or Celtic, or Arabic, or any of the various others that have
> made
> appearances at Defender over the years.  A 13th Century English knight
> has much more in common with a 12th century German and a 14th Century
> French knight than he has with Norsemen or Elizabethan courtiers.
>
> - Galen
That was very well put Galen.  But in my opinion (for what it's worth)
see Chivalric as something you are born to, it is who you are, man or
woman, it doesn't only cover the fighting arts but even the most gentle
of women, frail and dainty can show Chivalric more openly than some
men.  It's not just a white belt, a chain, spurs and a punch in the
chest.  It's in your mind, body and especially your soul.  Chivalric is
the only part of the SCA that isn't a game.  Your honor in the SCA or
mundanely should never be a game or thought of as a game.  It's real.
Sorry guys if I got on a soap box.  I once had a dream of becoming a
knight but my health wouldn't allow it but I tried.  I will always be a
knight in my heart.  I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the
Ansteorrian knights and have experienced a great deal of honor with in
your circle, VIVAT Ansteorrian Knights!  luv, V. Kate