ES - Authorizing in various Kingdoms

Axel , Jeanmaire & Diane Remes remes at flash.net
Tue May 12 07:59:23 PDT 1998

Just a note to clarify this point.  As I joined the SCA in the East, then moved to Atlantia where I married Axel, then moved to Drachenwald before coming here, I have some familiarity with these things even though I'm not a fighter.  (Being married to a Knight has certain disadvan..... ah .... advantages.)  Both Atlantia and Drachenwald were Principalities of the East before splitting off into their own Kingdoms, so the fighting conventions are similar, if not identical, in most cases, for these three Kingdoms.  The rule there is that you must authorize in sword and shield FIRST, before authorizing in any other weapons form.  The single exception to this is spear - you may authorize in spear without being authorized in sword & board - this exception being made for those who wished to fight spear at the Pennsic War only.  After authorizing sword & board, you are then required to authorize in any other weapons form (great sword, two sword, etc.) before being allowed to fight it in the list.  Once a fighter is Knighted, that fighter is then considered to be authorized in all weapons forms even if no separate authorization bout has been performed.

It was a bit of a surprise to Axel to find that all fighters are treated like Knights in Ansteorra.  It must save a lot of work for the paper pusher types.

In Service,

Jeanmaire