ES - Courtesy & Other Things

margiejr margiejr at sprintmail.com
Wed May 27 11:48:34 PDT 1998

The lack of Curtesy I have seen has mostly come from a lack of Knowledge by
those commiting the offences. new commers who have not been taught proper
cutrtesy when they started to play. Play a few years and bring new comers,
with out having the Knowledge to pass down to the next generation of
newcommers.

This is a growing problem not only in Elfsea but in other areas. My
sugestion is instead of complaining about the problem. Take action to over
come the problem.

possible suggestions are:

inform newcommers of the curtesies of the Socity before you bring them.

Be the best example of Curtesy you can be. (Some days your bets will be
calling everyone by thier titles while another may be to call out hey so and
so)

Have a class on Sca Protical.

Write a booklet on Curtesies and coustoms for the newcomers

Work closely with newcommers just starting and those who have been playing a
while w/o the Guidence of more experianced players

Just My 2 cents

Lady Simone

--

Afan Wrote:
    I would like to add comments on another note of courtesy
however. Since I have been playing (again) I have noticed that the
courtesy on the whole is not what it used to be (5 years ago, when I
began). At both Elfsea Defender, and Elfsea Springfaire I got to site
before my lord, and set up camp by myself. On both occasions there
were men (healthy full grown men) standing around watching me, who
never  offered to help me. (At Defender they did finally offer
when I went to set up the walls of my tent.) This weekend, there were
several times when I was walking from camp to the list field with
my arms full of HEAVY things, no one offered to come to my
aid, and when we were setting up camp (next to the vigil) on Friday
night, there were several Knights who stood and watched myself and
another lady unloading our vehicles, without the offer of aid. How
are newcomers supposed to learn these things if not by example?
As for asking for help, it seems to me that since chivalry,(the
respect and courtesy with which we are supposed to treat one another)
is one of the main building blocks, which the Society has been
created upon, no one should have to ask. Maybe that is taking a bit
of a hard stand, but then again my belief is that most of us are big
boys and girls and shouldn't have to be reminded like children. If
those of us who have been around a while, will teach by example, then
newer people will learn, and will understand much better, than being
told "Do as I say, not as I (or a good portion of the people) do."

*stepping off my soapbox, yet once again*

     ~Afan~