ES - Are we welcoming enough?

Larry Sayers lsayers at eaze.net
Fri May 15 11:08:42 PDT 1998

Greetings everyone,

 I thought I might add my opinions to this thread, because my
first meeting and event were less than two months ago. Few
people would consider me shy, but I had planned on hanging
back and watching what was going on.

 At the meeting I was immediately made welcome. The college
is small enough that we spent most of the time answering my
questions. I was hooked.

 My first event was Tor that weekend. On Friday night after
we set up the tents, the Baroness herself introduced me to
several people in the camp. The next day we watched the
fighters and the college answered many of my questions about
what was going on. That night at the bardic, the Baron offered
me a chair when he saw me standing just outside the circle.
I had a great time despite the fact I missed the nature walk.

 On the other hand, I don't remember anyone introducing themselves
or trying to include me in what they were doing. All introductions
were done by someone I already met. I didn't feel "welcome" in
many of the small groups that formed throughout the day. It did
not stop me from enjoying the event, but I wonder how much more
fun it could have been.

Larry