ES - Are we welcoming enough?

windell gibson draeco at swbell.net
Tue May 19 08:16:42 PDT 1998

margiejr wrote:

> Snip
>
>  My point is, though, that I think the mentor for
> >newbies idea is *OUTSTANDING*!!!  I wish I'd had a mentor to follow around,
> >someone to answer all of my questions.  "What does that crown mean?"  "Why
> >are they bowing to that guy?"  "What do you call that?!?"  Newbies have a
> >*LOT* of questions, and the shy newbies often don't get any answers --
> >because they aren't going to approach *you*!
> >
> >Yours in service,
> >
> >Gwennydd of Dovey
> >

> I Love he Idea of Sheparding new commers. Proboly because it is somnething I
> have always done. For me when I bring a newcommer to an event, I make thier
> Garb, go over SCA manners and forms of curtisy, explain th rank and keep
> them in tow for a few events untill they  feel comfortable ventering forth
> on thier own. I do this because it was done for me. and I hope that those I
> shepard in will do it for the ones they too one day my introduce to the
> socity. I get such a kick out of, and such a sence of pride when I see them
> grow and asdvance in the Socity
>
> Lady Simone

My lord and I had played in another kingdom for almost ten years.  We
moved to your kingdom just recently and I can atest to the shepherding.
If it hadn't been for some wonderful people helping us feel like a part
of this kingdom it might have taken us longer.  I too want to be a
shepherd.  It is a wonderful program and idea.  Count me in.  Bye,
Viscountess Kate, aka, Barb Howard.