ES - Spinning Arabella & "Net-hand"

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Sun May 31 08:19:34 PDT 1998

> From: Arabella de Montacute <ladyarabella at hotmail.com>
> To: elfsea at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: RE: ES - HIGHLAND GAMES TICKETS
> Date: Saturday, May 30, 1998 9:52 PM
> >From: "Richard Threlkeld" <rjt at acm.org>
> >Is that spinning thread or yourself?
> >Caelin (visualizing Arabella spinning)
> hehehehehehe!!!!!! Spinning Yarn - Arabella

<innocent look, as if I could get away with one>

Arabella, I didn't know you were a creator
of fable and tall tale...

<VBEG>

* * * * *
To add to Master Galen's missive on "Netiquette", allow me
to add some of the _other_ things you might see in messages
that might need explanation, most of which are adaptations
of conversation for a non-vocal yet exceedingly verbal medium:

Enclosing a word, phrase, or abbreviation in angle-brackets
may be thought of as either "special effects" or a theatrical
aside. <Don't look now, but I did it twice already in this message>
Many correspondents have begun to use adaptations of the
HTML (i.e. web page creation) language tags in combination
with this to show start & stop for an effect / tone of "voice":

<sarcastic>
Isn't that *special*?
</sarcastic>

(However, you may also occasionally see real HTML codes
show up in an otherwise normal message. Some mail reader
programs interpret these normally, others see them as regular
text, and sometimes there are other causes.)

In addition to enclosing a word/phrase in underline characters,
another common technique is to use asterisks to *emphasize*
or set off an important word. In some specialized areas, certain
newsgroups and on-line chat venues particularly, other
enclosures and set-offs have also been adopted. (AOL and
IRC chat areas are particularly guilty of this...)  When in
doubt, ask -- by preference, privately first!

Unusual acronyms and strange terms also have crept into the
vocabulary. Some are stranger than others by far...
Somewhere around here I've got a fairly comprehensive list,
but the "starter/survival kit" should probably include:
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IMO - In My Opinion
LOL - Laugh Out Loud
ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing
ROFLASTC - ROFL And Scaring The Cat/Children
TTTO - To The Tune Of
<g> - Grin
<G> - BIG Grin
<VBEG> Very Big Evil Gryn
TTFN - TaTa For Now

HTH - Hope That (or These) Helps,
Amra (who's "been on" echos, mail lists, and the like
          for more than a dozen years...)
Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com