ES - If we have to a public place then the event is a failure

willow l herbert jonwillowpel at juno.com
Tue Nov 17 21:06:50 PST 1998

I know it is an easy thing to say If we have to a public place then the
event is a failure but lets think about this. When we arrange to have a
public place where everyone is welcome at the event  we are doing
something as a community. We are each giving up some of our territory to
create a place that all of us can meet and mingle. We are helping the shy
people get to know us. When we work together we strengthen our community.
We can show that we as a community believe in the ideals of courtesy and
kindness. We also show people that we put those values above our personal
comfort.

It is nice to have your own camp. It nice to have your nice,safe area. A
place you can be the host. It is hard thing to give that up. The public
tavern, the group drum jam, the courtly dancing on the green, the list
itself, the quest, the baronial feast or party , the public bardic circle
all take a lot of work. For the most part that work is thankless. If you
do it for a long time you might get an award but you can't count on it.
But it is these activities that make us a group.

The idea of having these public meeting places isn't a new one. Ansteorra
started out planning at least two at every event. We used to have a
persona tavern and a performing area set up at opposite sides of the list
field  at most events. We often created a sit and talk area. The lights
of these areas where arranged so you could see the other area. At night
time people would walk from one area to the next in a sort of endless
party. We used the list field as a village green. Sometimes we arranged
games like" capture the flag "or "clinch a wench" or had dancing on the
list field. The tavern didn't just provide food and drink it had a show.
Sometimes the taverns had contest like the"comely limb contest" or
"walking the oars". The performance area wasn't a contest it was
performing for fun. As we did these things we began to mingle and soon
all the people at the event were at the same big party. It was wonderful.

Some things are done best by individuals and some things are done best by
groups. The "lets put bad times behind us" and have a great party is done
best by a group.