ES - The Middle Ages as They Were, or As They Should Have Been?

morris 106624.215 at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 6 18:52:51 PST 1998

   I read "The Middle Ages as They Were, or ..." and was inspired to reply
to several of the thoughts contained in that open letter.
   I have been active in the SCA for going on 19 years in 3 different
principalities and 6 kingdoms.  Some of what her Grace comments on I have
been seeing for all of that time, but some is (unfortunately new).
   On alcohol I have not actually seen much change.  Some events are wet
and some events are dry.  People drink what and how much they choose.  What
has changed is that the SCA has been put into the role of enforcing the
mundane laws.  I would guess that decreases our attraction as an
alternative to the 20th century.  Perhaps some of you who have joined later
than I could address that idea?
   Performers have always been touchy about their reception.  However when
I joined having a private campfire was just not done.  If you wanted that
you didn't do it at an SCA event.  Which didn't mean that people didn't set
a theme or a type of performance for a campfire.  What it did mean was that
within the bounds of 'dance only', or 'no filk', or 'period pieces only'
everyone was welcome to watch and perform and no one controlled the area.
   If an event needs "a place for new people to go" than that event has
failed.  And those of us there have failed to uphold the hospitality and
courtesy that was extended to us when we joined.  Perhaps it is just
nostalgia, but I seem to remember a time when hospitality and courtesy were
due to all, not just the people one already knew and liked.
   Through the years I have seen a number of places where the private
parties have taken over that area of the SCA.  To quote Willow "every one
seems to be dead."  I do not know whether too many private parties kill a
local SCA group or whether a dying local group causes too many private
parties.  But years of experience tell me that they go together.  Maybe
there is a connection with not welcoming new people.
   Think about it.  And act.

   Arglwdd Breichiol map LLudd o Fannauc
   (Mableth)