ES - Torelli quote

Todd Marsh Llywelyn at home.com
Sat Sep 19 21:19:09 PDT 1998

Lionardo Acquistapace ended a recent post on RapierNet with this quote:

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention. Mercenaries may be excellent soldiers; but an action which may be praised in a soldier may be blamed in a knight. For a soldier, the goal is victory: for the knight, since he is ready to go, if necessary, to certain destruction, the goal is honor."   - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

I think it is a good thing to think about as we prepare for our 20th Defender tournament.

Llywelyn